Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Pleasure To Root For

Just when you think the modern athlete is unworthy of your support, along comes RA Dickey to remind you why it's okay to cheer for some guys.

He is 35, and just breaking through in the big leagues.

He's a born- again Christian with a wife and three kids who visits firehouses and VA Hospitals on his days off.

He rightfully called out the three amigos, Beltran-Castillo & Perez for not showing up at Walter Reed.

He gets it. And all Met fans love him.

From George Vecsey's column:

My last question was about his critical comments when Carlos Beltran, Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo skipped the visit to Walter Reed.

I don’t want to be too hard on those guys,” he said, “but at the same time I wanted to concentrate on what it meant for me, how grateful I was,” he said, meaning toward soldiers who had sacrificed their health.

On a team that has grievously lacked leadership Dickey’s voice was welcome.
“I’m a 35-year-old man with three kids, so I feel like what I say with a pure heart, I don’t have to apologize for it,” Dickey said.




Sports of The Times - R.A. Dickey's Continuing Journey Leads to ...

No comments: