Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Extra, Extra

In my next life, I would love to be a newspaper headline writer. I took a Journalism class in college, and one assignment was to come up with a headline to a news story provided by the professor. The news story he gave us was a fire in a nightclub in the Philippines. The headline I came up with was Burn Baby Burn: 20 Dead In Disco Inferno. The professor thought I was insane.

Favorite headlines over the last few years: Close But No Cigar (NY Daily News when Clinton was impeached but not removed); and Ike Beats Tina To Death (NY Post when Ike Turner died). Of course the greatest headline EVER was the NY Post's "Headless Body In Topless Bar".

Every once in a while, I see a headline & think I would have written it differently. Today was one of those days. The NYT has a strange story linked below about a police officer who is depressed because he shot & killed a famous chimp that was attacking a woman. (How crazy is that?)

Anyway, after reading the story, I would have changed the headline to Cop: I Feel Like A Monkey Is On My Back.

Too bad newspapers will soon be extinct.

After Shooting Chimp, a Police Officer’s Descent

No comments: